You cannot carry your cross while sitting on the fence

Remember Who We Are

Monday, April 20, 2009

Legacy

As of late, with getting ready to move overseas, I've been doing a lot of thinking about the sort of legacy that I'd be leaving behind. The sort of legacy you leave reflects on your character....am I leaving a legacy for wrong reasons? Did I do the things that truly matter in the long run? Was I so caught up in the pointless things that I lost track of the meaningful things?

While I was clearing stuff from my bedroom wall, I took my Civil Air Patrol Cadet of the Year eagle down from the wall. The once black feathers for the bald eagle were grey with dust. I couldn't help but think, "and this symbolizes a whole year of my life?" Is that the legacy I'll leave...one that gets covered in dust.

Will they remember me as someone who loved the Lord with all his heart or was just going through the motions? As a protector or a jerk? As a brother who could be trusted? Or just the regular guy in a youth group?

I've been doing a lot of thinking like this lately...I guess it can be mainly attributed to the move. One tends to do a lot of soul searching when you know you're moving. I don't want to come across as trying to build my pride or anything like that. I do think that if everybody remembers you as being a person not to hang out with, then that could say something about your character. I really don't know how to put it all in words in an understandable manner, but it was worth a shot.

No comments:

votejaredn29