You cannot carry your cross while sitting on the fence

Remember Who We Are

Saturday, August 8, 2009

Fish Market

We went on a tour to Hachinohe, a town about 15 miles down the road. It seemed like a very long drive, maybe because the speed limit is very slow! 70 km, versus 70 mph's in TX is quite the contrast! We also went to a mall and a Shinto shrine, I'll break it up into 2 posts!

They had squid....
Photobucket
....And very expensive watermelon. That's 1200 yen, about 12 dollars for a watermelon
Photobucket
None of us were really sure what this was, but we all tried it and like it
Photobucket
The Gang
Photobucket
They had ice-cream
Photobucket
This picture works for the hair-cut shot
Photobucket

I was really impressed with how polite and honest the Japanese are. Nolan dropped a dollar and a lady chased us down to give it to him. There was a lot of different smells and sounds. There was some sort of pipe looking thing that was hanging from the ceiling that I kept bumping my head into.

I noticed while driving through Misawa and Hochinohe that everyone dries their laundry by hanging it on the back porch.....interesting. Is there any reason for this?

6 comments:

Natalie said...

Awesome squid picture. I'm not quite sure why, but I laughed as soon as I saw it. The fish sort of look like really think pancakes. The haircut doesn't look all that bad. It's just short... (lol)

Julie Zesch said...

i like the hair too
RZ

Jared said...

The squid are very comical! lol That's what they were, we think, pancakes with some sort of custer. We asked a lady, but we couldn't understand her...all we picke dout was "squid and fish." hmmmm

Thanks about the hair!

Debbie said...

Love the new cut. :-)

I am not a very adventurous eater, so all that fishy stuff would not appeal to me...now Bessie, she loves to try new foods.

You see a lot of folks drying their clothes outside here in the northeast. I guess it just saves on running your dryer.

Kim said...

About the haircut - not bad!!! And you "did" it by yourself - language, I mean!

I don't know that the longhorn sign is bad here, but the peace sign is the usual sign for when we take pictures. Really! Should see Jun's! Maybe Alex can do THAT one too!

About dryers - most of them are electric here, and electricity is TOO expensive (off base). So, even if people have them, they are weak and not used. I have been dryerless for 10 years, and enjoy the morning stretch of hanging out the laundry! No, REALLY!!!

Jared said...

Debbie-I don't really like to try new foods either...it usually helps just not to look! lol

Mrs. Kim-I'm trying to learn how to say, "I don't want to look like that Sailor over there...please, only 3 inches!." lol
I guess it makes since to air dry them...do you have any troubles with bugs or rain?

votejaredn29