You cannot carry your cross while sitting on the fence

Remember Who We Are

Friday, August 21, 2009

Misawa City Tour

On Thursday..so yesterday, we went on the Misawa City Tour. I'm really excited to live here for three years and can't wait to see what God has in store for us!

We went to a Buddhist Temple. This tombstone is extremely expensive...I think the tour guide said somewhere around $30,000 in American cash...imagine that in yen! The tombstone has the families name written on it. The lady said that on certain years, i.e one year after the person dies, 3 years, 7 years, 11 years, ect up to 50 years they mourn. But after 50 years they don't care anymore!
Photobucket

Photobucket
Inside the temple they had a lot of very expensive items like this
Photobucket
I was at the back of the group and didn't hear what this was for...but it looks cool
Photobucket
This dude is supposed to be guarding the cemetery. There is two of them..one on each side of the gate. The other one has his mouth open. He's "catching the bad spirits," while the one with his mouth shut is, "keeping them locked away."
Photobucket
We went to a Samurai's house...the Samurai wasn't alive, it was a museum!
Photobucket
And yes..the door jams were like 4 feet high...I did hit my head once. Mom asked me a question and so I lost my concentration on ducking door jams.
Photobucket

We also went the International Center where we received several briefings on Japanese culture. I ate some sushi..it didn't have fish in it; it had seaweed, rice, and cucumber. I'm sure you have heard the saying that once you get past the gag reflex all sorts of food options become available...well, it was still nasty after I overcame the gag-reflex!
Afterwards we went to Veedols Plaza for lunch. I'll post about that in a minute!

2 comments:

Daughter of Trust said...

I'm very glad to hear that you are excited to live in Japan...it looks like ya'all are having fun...

Jared said...

We are having a lot of fun!

votejaredn29