You cannot carry your cross while sitting on the fence

Remember Who We Are

Saturday, August 8, 2009

The Shrine

We went to a Shinto shrine during that tour...I have some more pictures that I will load later. I have never had to stop and think, "now is this idol worship?" in my life. They had a shrine outside the main gate (I'll load that pic later). In the shrine they had a pool of water that your were supposed to wash your hands and mouth in. And then you could enter through the gates into the temple. I thought about it for a while and then decided that I wouldn't do it. Stories about the kings who fell during their reigns because of things like this started to go through my head.

If something had white paper hanging from a rope by it/on it, that meant it was holy. I've got some pics of "holy statues and trees." I was afraid Alex, being a bit impulsive, would try and pull one of the pieces of paper down!
Photobucket
The architecture is amazing
Photobucket

Photobucket
Alex is doing the Longhorns symbol....not a good place or time to do that
Photobucket

Photobucket
The Buddha
Photobucket
They had a alter that you throw your money in, ring the bell and then bow to the alter and then pray. I didn't do this either. Even if I'm praying to God, I decided it wasn't Christian to be bowing to a alter.
Photobucket

They also had "Holy Fish," the tour guide stressed not to try and grab those! I've got pics of those as well...all coming someday

4 comments:

Julie Zesch said...

of course there is never a good time or place for the wronghorn symbol. But a shinto shrine seems more appropriate than most.
RZ

Jared said...

haha a lady cme up and said, "little boy, don't do that here." It mus mean something really bad in Japan. lol

Krista said...

Sounds interesting and I did not know there was such a think as a wrong time

Jared said...

Well, aparently there can be a wrong time. Maybe the Japanese are Aggie fans...

votejaredn29