You cannot carry your cross while sitting on the fence

Remember Who We Are

Monday, June 15, 2009

Crescent City

My discovery of the day was that chipmunks in CA eat meat....a scary thought when you think about it.

The drive here was a little bit twisty, but nobody threw up this time! This seems to happen every time we take this road.

Krista, Alex, and I took the little car and so we got there before the rest. By there I mean our grandparents house. We chatted with them for some time. And then Mom and Dad arrived with the rest of the gang.

Krista and I took the little ones down to the river so Mom and Dad could catch up with grandparents without us underfoot.



The creek after we had done some changes to it


There is a small creek that splinters into several smaller channel and then leads into the river. We decided to block up all of those channels, except for one. We went to work moving rock and such.
We felt proud of our work.


We were in the process of finishing up when I noticed something moving in the recently stopped up water way. I go over there. There is a baby minnow flapping around. I look around and see a couple of baby tadpoles and some more fish. And with that started our "Marine re-location program." We put them all in a pool of water and went back to work. We turn around and the pool was about empty. So we moved them to another pool...hopefully this one hasn't dried out. I alone moved about 8 fish and 8 baby tadpoles, and the other's moved some to.

And then started the setting up a command post program. This was Krista's idea...it reminded me of when I used to play for hours down by the river. I used to play that we had a camp and were being attacked by orcs from the river. AH, goodtimes.

We plan on building a tepee...but first we needed to plant the center piece. To do this we needed to dig a fairly deep hole. The last time I tried digging a post hole, I didn't do so good. I was more the comic relief than anything for that operation. It didn't help to have a dog that had bit me before running around as I tried to dig!

I've won her over to the Longhorn side
Photobucket

See, I can dig a post hole!

Alex and Nolan collected rocks for the hole


Photobucket

I collect branches
Photobucket

Arielle pulled roots to use for rope later on
Photobucket
I found a gap in the pile that looked interesting...you never know what it could have been! I had to check it out for the sake of all human kind!


We only got the center piece done today, but we will have plenty of time to work on it!

Dad wanted Nolan and I to see the tree that we'd be cutting up tomorrow. So he led us into the dense undergrowth by our grandparents house. There was a lot of thorns and branches that always ended up in my face. Dad kept moving, but Nolan and I got stuck. We couldn't get through the thorns. Did we panic and lose our heads? Of course not! We picked up sticks on the floor, went back to back and hacked at everything around us. We moved like this until we caught up with Dad. Teamwork...I love it!

10 comments:

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Ah - THAT'S what all the photos were of. LOL I'll tell Grandma to come read over here. LOL

Debbie said...

Jared, I have been enjoying your travels. I am a friend of your mom and Bessie's mom. It has been fun reading your persepective of the trip after reading your mom's entries.

Look forward to reading all about your further adventures.

Natalie said...

Just another reason to add to my "list of reasons to never move back to California!" Cannibal squirrels are so not cool! Somebody needs to bring this to Arnold Schwarzenegger's attention! Quick! Let's start a petition! How dare the citizens of California leave such a problem unresolved!! (LOL!) Hmm... maybe you guys could start a family business with creek reconstruction! It'll serve as a great addition to the Marine re-location program. Good luck with the tepee! Hey! You guys could add that as another branch to the business! Who wouldn't want a custom made tepee?

Natalie said...

Oops! I forgot to tell you, you've been tagged!

kmjrose said...

Your posts are great! So funny! I'll be back to read more.
Karen in VT ( I know your mom from the SHS list)

RZ said...

Did you dig the hole with just your hands? Maybe there is a correlation between the obscene gestures and the inability to dig a hole. Every Aggie I know can dig holes.

God Speed

Cynthia said...

How sweet of you to take the younger ones out to play so your mom and dad could visit with the grandparents a bit.

Nice relocation plan! TOO FUNNY!

Liz in OK said...

Boomer Sooner --
http://bands.ou.edu/music/boomer.mp3

one obscene (longhorn) gesture picture on your mom's blog, I could live through, but this second one has put me over the edge ...
maybe we'll start singing about the winds come sweeping down the plain ...

Go Big Red!

Jared said...

Natalie,

You may have something there. Those chipmunks are a problem alright....very scary, really. I mean they're everywhere and can drop in on you at any time. Creapy! lol
I've been tagged?

Jared said...

Well, Mr. Z,

I don't know if you could connect the two. Every Longhorn I've ever known knows that PHD doesn't stand for post hole digger. lol

votejaredn29